"During this challenging time, we are doing everything possible to ensure our employees remain safe, our patients receive their medicines, and assistance is available to help those most deeply impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic." - Richard Gonzalez, CEO
AbbVie’s COVID-19 R&D efforts
As a global biopharmaceutical company, AbbVie is committed to addressing the COVID-19 public health crisis. We are collaborating with health authorities and institutions globally to identify potential treatments, including supporting clinical studies and basic research of our medicines. We’re also collaborating with industry, government and academia, focusing on early science and discovery research.
Learn more about our research and discovery efforts.
Protecting our employees in the workplace
Since the beginning of the pandemic, the health and safety of our employees has been our top priority. As an essential business, we’ve had employees working in our facilities throughout the crisis, and we’ve been proud that we’ve been able to continue to provide our patients with the critical medicines they depend on without any interruption.
Throughout the crisis, we’ve followed health and safety guidance from state and local health authorities, taking a phased and measured approach to returning more employees to AbbVie facilities, and have implemented a wide variety of safety measures for those employees who are returning to the workplace. We continue our enhanced safety protocols at all our sites.
Vaccination is the most effective way to keep people safe from COVID-19 and stop the spread of the virus. With vaccines widely available, we encourage employees and third-party workers based at an AbbVie location who are able to receive a COVID-19 vaccination to do so before returning to the workplace or be tested weekly if unvaccinated.
AbbVie offers a variety of testing resources to help our workforce continue to stay safe and healthy:
- AbbVie COVID-19 Case Management Program: A resource for U.S. employees and contractors to monitor and report COVID-19 symptoms, possible exposure or positive test results to trained health care professionals and receive guidance on returning to the workplace.
- AbbVie At-Home COVID-19 Testing Program: Test kits mailed to the home at no cost to U.S. employees and for a fee to contractors and employees' family members.
- AbbVie Expanded Onsite Testing Program (select U.S. sites): In addition to existing onsite priority COVID-19 testing already available for U.S. employees and contractors, an elective option is available for U.S. employees who have returned to onsite work.
Before coming to the workplace
- Before leaving home, employees answer COVID-19 screening questions to confirm they are allowed to come into the workplace.
- If they are experiencing any COVID-19-like symptoms, or have tested positive for COVID-19, they are asked to stay home and seek medical care. Any employee who suspects or confirms they have COVID-19 is required to follow AbbVie’s Return to On-Site Work Medical Clearance Procedures before returning to the workplace.
While in the workplace
- All office building HVAC units have been reconfigured to maximize outside air supply and minimize recirculation.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) is provided to all employees both on site and those who work in field.
- Our teams are frequently disinfecting all workstations, offices, common areas and high-touch points in accordance with CDC guidelines.