Things to know before you apply
Consider the following items when submitting your application:
- Your grant or charitable donation must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the decision requested by date.
- You have the ability to track your request 24/7.
- Your submission will be evaluated against predetermined criteria and must align with AbbVie’s scientific areas of interest.
- You will receive email notification from AbbVie if additional information is required.
- You will receive AbbVie’s decision via email. If approved, the authorized signer will receive required documentation (i.e., Letter of Agreement) electronically.
- Grants must reconcile to the approved budget within 90 days following the grant end date.
- Charitable Donations are required to acknowledge receipt of funds within 30 days of
To start your grant request, go to grants.abbvie.com. For more details about the application process, see below:
Step 1: Registration
All requests for funding must be submitted through our online portal, and at least 60 days before the start date of an activity.
- Register on behalf of the organization using our online portal. Previously registered users
will need to confirm registration information at each submission.
- Designate someone from the organization/department as a user and contact for the organization.
- Designate the authorized signer, who can sign the Contractual Agreement on behalf of
- Once you have completed the registration, you will receive an email confirmation.
Step 2: Grant or charitable donation submission
Here are a few terms used in the grant portal you need to know before submitting your application:
- Start Date in General Information: Date the work will begin on the overall program
- Start Date in Delivery Format: The day the live web/online program and/or printed material will begin or launch.
- End Date in General Information: The day the overall program ends.
- End Date in Delivery Format: The day the live web/online program and/or printed material will close/expire.
- Decision Requested by Date: The date you would like to have a decision on your request. We prefer this date be two weeks to two months prior to the start date of the program.
The grant portal will not allow a program start date to be entered after the 60-day deadline (e.g. if your program starts on April 1 and you are trying to submit the request in March or April, the portal will give you an error message and not allow you to proceed with the application). Please contact the Global Grants and Charitable Donations Department at (877) 228-7177 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you require assistance.
For information and step-by-step assistance with submitting your request, please review the Requestor Training Guide. All informational documents and FAQ's can be found here.
Once the request has been submitted, you will receive an email confirmation.
Step 3: Application review and payment
AbbVie carefully considers every grant or charitable donation request. Criteria for awarding a grant or charitable donation includes but is not limited to:
- Educational strategy
- Scientific and educational merit
- Target audience
- Geographic equity
- Availability of funds
- Adequate review time
- Organization’s mission
We work to ensure that a decision will be made by the “Decision Requested by Date.” If you have questions please contact the Global Grants and Charitable Donations Department at (877) 228-7177 or email@example.com. If an application is incomplete or funding type does not match the original request, a Request for Additional Information (RFAI) will be sent to the requestor.
If not approved, you will be sent an email outlining the reason for denial.
If approved, you will be sent an email confirmation with instructions to login to the grant portal, review, and electronically sign the contractual agreement.
The contractual agreement must be signed by all parties, prior to the start date of the event to be considered a fully executed contract. Once signed you will receive an email confirming the payment has been released.
The payment will come via check or electronic transfer (ACH). Payment address and account information must be provided in the request. If you have questions or the payment information has changed, please contact the Global Grants and Charitable Donations Department to update our records and the grant portal upon contract acknowledgement.
You will receive the check in regular USPS mail in four to six weeks and the electronic transfer to your account within two to four days.
Step 4: Reconciliation and outcomes
Once the program has ended, you will need to reconcile the request. Outcomes can be submitted at a later date.
If the request is not reconciled 90 days after the completion of the program, all parties in your organization utilizing the same tax ID number will be prevented from having their request approved.
If you have any questions regarding the decision or would like to check the status of your request, please contact the Global Grants and Charitable Donations Department at (877) 228-7177 or firstname.lastname@example.org.